Sunday, April 22, 2012

Queen of the unplanned projects.


That is me.  Queen of the unplanned projects.

Today was one of those days, when an unplanned (and totally not urgent) project got done.  I have to say it feels great to have it done, but I did overlook several other more urgent items on my to-do list to do this one. 

Let me explain.  I have a tendency to get side-tracked.  My wonderful husband just re-laquered the floor in our screen porch (it was all peel-y and ruined from water damage). I was putting the furniture back in place, now that the floor was dry.  I meant to keep that project going, but I didn't.

When we moved into this home 2 1/2 years ago, we inherited some bits and pieces from the previous owners.  One of those things was a very heavy solid brass planter. It was pretty cool, but dingy.  We keep it in the porch.  When I was moving it from point A to point B I started wondering what I would need to buy to polish it up (I have never polished brass in my life...).   Naturally, I stopped all work to consult Pinterest. Turns out, you just need to make a simple paste out of common kitchen staples!  I have these ingredients and I have the time (If you ignore the fact that I wasn't done with my original project)!

I decided to give it a try.  Here is how it went:
1) Completely wash grime off planter in the shower.
2) Make paste.
3) Cover table with newspapers.
4) Start scrubbing planter with paste in just a small area.

Wow!  Works great!  It just makes sense to finish it now. The paste is made, the table is covered and I've already made a mess.
5) Take before photo so I can show my husband...
Brass planter - Before.


















6) Get out old toothbrush to get the fancy handles and feet polished, too.
7) More scrubbing and more scrubbing.
8) Rinse clean in shower and dry.

At least 45 minutes later (it IS large), the planter looks great.
9) Quick Google what it will take to keep it from tarnishing again.
10) Depression sets in when I realize that nothing keeps this big thing from tarnishing again!
11) Take an after picture to preserve the planter in it's glory because I doubt I'll be doing this again anytime soon.
Brass planter - After.










Lessons learned:
1) I can polish brass with a homemade paste - no expensive, harmful cleaner needed!
2) Polishing brass takes a bit of "elbow grease" and my brass planter is... big.
3) Polished brass is much more beautiful than the dingy tarnished brass (it's not at all pretty like copper.)
4) Next time it's someone else's turn (read: "it will never get done again").
5) I'd recommend it for smaller brass objects.

I guess I'll finish the screen porch tomorrow.  Unless another project pops up.

If you want to try it:
Fill a small bowl with about 1/2-3/4 cup vinegar.
Mix in equal parts flour and salt for the abrasive.  You want less of this than the vinegar.
(I used a couple tablespoons of each).
Rub on with soft cloth and or old toothbrush.
Rinse clean.




No comments:

Post a Comment